Tuesday, July 22, 2008

St. Francis of Assisi Church in Taos

This is the famous church here in Taos that was built in the 1700's that artists always paint.  I feel like I almost got a sunstroke painting this.  I started at about 8 in the morning and for about two hours it was OK, but towards the end of the morning it got pretty toasty.  Now I know this is going to sound crazy, but when I studied art history back in my college days, I remember the professor going on and on about flying buttresses.  I could never figure out what the heck he was talking about and I guess I was too cool to ask.  When I see this church, I really have to chuckle once again about flying buttresses.  

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love the sky... sorta van Gogh-ish.
Remember the flying buttresses of my gingerbread St. Patrick's Cathedral?? Did you know what they were at that time... or were you to scc'rrd to ask??

Adrienne said...

Check out this blog.. always interesting.. .

http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegrrl/

Carolyn Rekerdres said...

I was scared, Adrienne, because you are scary. Plus, I was afraid you would ridickul me. (For anyone else reading this blog, I do know what flying buttresses are and I know that I just mispelled ridicule, it's a family joke.

Anonymous said...

This one is great. I bet it would sell easily in a southwestern gallery.